[GRASSLIST:2124] Re: metadata?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 18 19:55:23 EDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Ahhh funny... it is already in GRASS 5 code:
>
> src/scripts/contrib/metadata/
> class.metadata  r.meta  source.url  v.meta
>
> So just check your GRASS 5 source installation (it is not compiled on default).

Markus,

  r.meta and v.meta are scripts; no compilation needed. I'm going to make at
least one change in our copy: the r.meta script has vi hard-wired in as the
editor of the metadata file. I'll change that to invoke the user's editor
environmental variable.

  I've not looked closely at both r.meta and v.meta, but I have problems
understanding why there are two separate scripts (and nothing for sites
data). In my naivety, a single metadata creation script ought to work for
any data type (which would be specified either in the data file name or
another entry in the metadata file -- my preference).

Thanks!

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.