[GRASSLIST:2173] Re: Large scale data from US Census

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 26 18:05:30 EDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, William A. Perkins wrote:

> I have gotten TIGER files into GRASS. v.in.tig.basic and v.in.tig.lnmk
> (check spelling) still seem to work for up to 1999 TIGER files (but I
> read somewhere that they did not work for 2000, which I have not
> tried).

Bill,

  I remember reading this, too.

> I warn you though, do not expect the TIGER data to be "high resolution" --
> at least in the eastern Washington counties I've worked with they are not.
> I believe that most of the TIGER layers are based on the USGS 1:100k DLG's
> anyway, and even then something got lost in the conversion.

  Oh. I didn't realize this. I've not worked with TIGER files before.

> TIGER files also have trouble matching up with anything else because
> the Bureau pays no attention to the horizontal datum in their original
> data (and they admit this in their documents).

  Ouch! No wonder the census counts are off by so many people.

> I would go with whatever USGS 1:24k SDTS data sets are available.

  Will do.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.