[GRASSLIST:2220] Re: Projection questions

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Jul 30 06:55:32 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:12:15AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Eric G. Miller wrote:
>
> > The management of coordinate systems should've been reorganized when
> > the proj4 library was added.  Instead, we got this PROJECTION_OTHER
> > thing.  Anyway, all the infrastructure is present, it's just the
> > organization of it that needs help.
>
> Speaking of projections, can anyone suggest any online (or
> downloadable) tutorials on the subject? I've read the stuff in chapter
> 2 of the CAST GRASS tutorial, but I could do with something more
> substantial.

Some basic info is available at Geographer's Craft:

  http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/contents.html

_Geodesy for the Layman_:

  http://164.214.2.59/GandG/geolay/toc.htm

  *** NIMA's website is fsck'ed, so that may not work ;(
      (if their website wasn't screwed up, you could also get an
       excellent reference on WGS 84 and it's relation to several
       other datums -- if you want it let me know [big PDF])

POSC.ORG (Epicentre) has a detailed discussion of coordinate systems and
transformations:

  http://www.posc.org/Epicentre.2_2/DataModel/ExamplesofUsage/eu_cs.html

The European Petroleum Survey Group did publish an MS Access database
with a gazilion coordinate systems from around the world, but I can't
seem to locate them anymore (was epsg.org).  I've a copy of the database
last winter...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>