[GRASSLIST:2023] RE: Problems with d.mon

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jun 26 19:41:41 EDT 2001

Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra) wrote:

> > I am trying to start working with grass but I'm not comming further than
> > the hurdle of strarting the X0  to x9 monitors.
> > I have already read all the archives of diverses Mailing lists and tried
> > all suggestions like owner and permission stuff without success. when I
> > give the command d.mon it get the normal interactive procedure with no
> > error message but then when i try to see some data on a x-monitor i get
> > the message that i have no monitor open and sends me back to d.mon .
> > The gui interface is of no help either.
> > I'm using RedHat 7.0 with Xfree 4.0.
> > Would appreciate any minor hint !
>
> I recently had problems starting monitors in Redhat 7.1 (beta 11). The
> monitor devices in $grass/etc/dev were not fifo's so I deleted them and used
> mkfifo to recreate the devices and it seemed to be happy.

Is this a binary distribution or built from source? Recent versions of
GRASS should, by default, use Unix-domain sockets for communicating
with the monitor. The support for FIFOs is purely historical (and for
the rare case when the OS doesn't support sockets).

In general, the use of sockets is to be preferred over FIFOs. The code
is simpler, there's no locking involved, and sockets were meant for
this kind of communication model.

BTW, it's just "$GISBASE/dev", not "$GISBASE/etc/dev".