[GRASSLIST:2025] Newbie Grass5.0.0pre1 compilation problem

Simon Parker STP838 at bham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 06:15:09 EDT 2001

Hi Everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me out.

I have a box running Mandrake8.0 and have been trying to compile
grass5.0.0pre1 from source (not CVS snapshot, dated 20 May 2001). I have in
the past successfully installed the grass5.0.0pre1 precompiled binary and it
worked fine, but wanted to use some additional modules so needed the source
files to compile these. I tried unsucessfully to compile from source having
removed the previous installation but gave up and reinstalled my Linux OS
(drastic I know but it was getting messy).

Installing onto the fresh OS, the compilation seemed to go ok, it reported
that it had compiled sucessfully. However after I install and try to run I
get the following error:

Unable to properly access /home/simon/.gislock5, Please notify to system
personel.

I run ./configuration and make as user and make install as root. Trying to
start grass5 as user.

I noticed that this message is reported in the FAQ in relation to installing
the precompiled binary to a system with an older glibc (2.0) and that the
binaries are built on glibc2.1. My system is based on glibc2.2 is this the
root of the problem and if so what can I do about it? Anyone have any
similar problems?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simon

Simon Parker