[GRASSLIST:2027] Re: Newbie Grass5.0.0pre1 compilation problem

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Jun 28 06:18:24 EDT 2001

Hi Simon,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:15:09AM +0100, Simon Parker wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me out.
>
> I have a box running Mandrake8.0 and have been trying to compile
> grass5.0.0pre1 from source (not CVS snapshot, dated 20 May 2001). I have in
> the past successfully installed the grass5.0.0pre1 precompiled binary and it
> worked fine, but wanted to use some additional modules so needed the source
> files to compile these. I tried unsucessfully to compile from source having
> removed the previous installation but gave up and reinstalled my Linux OS
> (drastic I know but it was getting messy).
>
> Installing onto the fresh OS, the compilation seemed to go ok, it reported
> that it had compiled sucessfully. However after I install and try to run I
> get the following error:
>
> Unable to properly access /home/simon/.gislock5, Please notify to system
> personel.
>
> I run ./configuration and make as user and make install as root. Trying to
> start grass5 as user.

Well, above sounds all fine. Please try following *directly* after getting

# is there enough space:
df -k .

# does the file exist?
more /home/simon/.gislock5

# can you create it (permission problem):
touch /home/simon/.gislock5

#if yes, remove afterwards
rm /home/simon/.gislock5

Maybe one of these tests will fail (please report).

> I noticed that this message is reported in the FAQ in relation to installing
> the precompiled binary to a system with an older glibc (2.0) and that the
> binaries are built on glibc2.1. My system is based on glibc2.2 is this the
> root of the problem and if so what can I do about it? Anyone have any
> similar problems?

That's an old story not relevant with current systems (especially if you
compiled locally).

Regards

 Markus Neteler