[GRASSLIST:2030] Re: Update-Problem GRASS 5 Beta 8-->GRASS 5.0Pre1

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Thu Jun 28 07:04:55 EDT 2001

Hi Stefan

Stefan Rothe wrote:
> I have a (mental?) update-problem. When I copy my Locations
> from a machine running with SUSE 6.4 and GRASS 5 Beta 8
> to a machine running SUSE 7.2 and GRASS 5.0Pre1
> I receive the message "...not a valid GRASS-location"
> whenever I try to open it within the new GRASS.

If I remember correctly, this message comes from the GUI startup window.
When we created this window, we wanted a way to verify that the chosen
location was a GRASS location. It was indicated that most GRASS
locations have a PERMANENT mapset, thus we decided that a GRASS location
should have a PERMANENT mapset. So, to fix your problem, simply create a
PERMANENT directory in each of your locations.

> What did I forget, what should I do. Do I need to convert the whole
> location somehow?
> And do I have to convert all my d.rast-maps due to the UNISYS-patent
> hassle?

Sorry, I can't help you with this one.

Hope this helped.

--