[GRASSLIST:1567] Re: GRASS on PowerPC

Lyle E. Browning lebrowning at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 7 20:43:58 EST 2001

Not having worked outside the Mac environment for years and
having mostly and thankfully forgotten the trials and
tribulations of working out downloads and installations more

difficult than double clicking, I think I'm mostly up to
speed on the GRASS/Mac issues. Indeed I was trying to run it
directly on a G3 Powerbook with system 9.0.4 which the
specs appeared to indicate might work. Now I know that Linux
or similar is required. I am also told that 5.0b will run
native on Mac System X. Hopefully that will work and I can
avoid reformatting and partitioning my hard drive.

Please consider the following absurdly Newbie
question/problem: I have about 2500 artifacts from an
excavation for which x,y coordinates were taken. I'm in the
process of
identifying and coding them at the moment. I need to display
them in groups such as all of the Creamware and Pearlware
pottery; then all of the Civil War vintage stuff, etc. In
short,
slice and dice the database to show different types and ages
of artifacts. I've seen one GIS do this about 18 years ago.
Is there a procedure in GRASS which allows bringing in
points from the x,y series I already have with their codes
and then querying the database and showing only those
attributes one selects?

Thanks in advance.

The address below is where I believe I saw the 5.0.rpm

 ftp://intevation.de/freegis/gnu-linux-ppc/freegis-1.0.4/ppc/

Lyle