[GRASSLIST:1653] Re: display several maps, CA Moat, and r.merge_tiles.pl

kevin cross kcross at ecis.com
Tue Mar 20 23:46:54 EST 2001

Julien:

    A while back I asked about merging gtopo30 tiles into one large raster
map.  I didn't get near the response you did and don't recall anything being
mentioned about r.patch.  I was under the impression it was used to generate
overlay layers.  I'll have to take another look at these utilities.

    Anyway,  as a result of this I did write a perl script to merge source
raster files.  Part way through I added a somewhat clumsy method to crop
north/south or east/west boundaries depending on the direction of the merge.
This utility was made for tiles and presumes northern or western boundaries
line up.

    It is command-line driven,  99.5% finished and about 80% tested with
GLOBE files, but not gtopo30. It seems to work. I can't say it is bug free
and there are still a couple of tweaks I wanted to place in it.  I had to
stop and do taxes before completing the module.  I'll put out another
release after I do this and of there is interest in the GRASS community, I
will re-release the update. I have attached the "beta" copy to this email.

    Any and all are welcome to use it under GNU/GPL.  Maybe it's good enough
to have a place as an alternative GRASS utility, but I leave this for the
pros.

    In another request,  I need help also.  It seems that no matter what I
do when following the instructions in importing areas about California,  the
central valley has a moat below sea level in gtopo30 and GLOBE files. I have
used the r.mapcalc commands as stated in the docs for these images but the
still appear.  Am I the only one to have this problem?

Kevin Cross