[GRASSLIST:1856] Re: Broken pipe in r3.showdspf?

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue May 22 09:59:12 EDT 2001

Hi Quim,

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 02:54:53PM +0200, Quim Soler i Subils wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've a problem with r3.showdsfp in my grass5beta11, compiled succesfully
> (?) from sources on a iMac with Linux.
>
> I use r3.makedspf with the output from s.vol.idw ("prova") to make a
> dspf file ("provadspf"). Util here all seems correct.
> Then I call r3.showdspf from the console, because I haven't found it in
> the graphic menus, in order to display the result. After answering the
> questions the console shows all the possible options described in the
> html manual of r3.showdspf but no new windows or frames appear with the
> pictures I want. And if I attempt to choose any option from the console
> a "Broken pipe" message appears and the r3.showdpsf quits dumping core
> in my home directory.
> The html manual of r3.showdspf says that more windows should appear in
> order to show the pictures in 3D. But no windows or frames appear in my
> monitor.
>
> Anybody knows what's happening here? I have not found this problem in
> the bugs list.
> I attach the text from the console.

will a common GRASS monitor open? If not, then you system settings need to
be corrected. Note, that you display isosurfaces with one or more "+"
characters in r3.showdspf.
Like:

+
++++

And note: There are severe bugs in the r3.* environment which need to be
fixed. Probably all coordinates are reversed and other problems may happen.

> Another question,
> Can I display 3D sites files in GRASS as points?
Yes, you can use NVIZ for that. It displays 3D sites.
See an example at (just added):
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/nviz/index.html

> Thank you very much,
>
> Quim