[GRASSLIST:2625] Re: tcltkgrass startup problem

Ben Logan blogan at newcreature.org
Thu Nov 1 07:23:02 EST 2001

Mark,

At a shell prompt, type "which wish" (without the quotes).  It should
say something like /usr/bin/wish.  If it gives a message like

which: no wish in (/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/var/qmail/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/home/ben/gnuplot/bin)

then the binary is probably called something like wish8 or wish8.0, or
you need to add a directory to your PATH.  If it shows you a path, I'm
not sure what your problem is.  The rest of my message assumes that
'which' couldn't find wish.

Try this (the '#' means you should be logged in as root--don't type
it):

# find / -iname "wish*" 2>/dev/null

If that doesn't turn up anything, you don't have any version of wish
installed.  If find returns an entry for something like 'wish8.0' but
no 'wish', then you need to create a symbolic link.  For example, if
find returned '/usr/bin/wish8.0', run

# ln -s /usr/bin/wish8.0 /usr/bin/wish

That should fix it.  If you do get an entry for wish, but it isn't in
a bin directory (it should be in either /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin),
then you simply need to add it's directory to your path.  If you don't
know how to do that, email me personally and I'll step you through it.
 (I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, I'm just not sure how
much you know about Linux. :)

HTH,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: blogan at newcreature dot org
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0