[GRASSLIST:2650] Re: Some export questions

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Nov 13 12:08:25 EST 2001

Soil & Water Lab. wrote:

> I have some questions concerning output in different format :I have a raster
> DEM I would like to insert in a LaTeX document (so, I'd need either a PNG or
> a .ps)
>
> * Is there any way to bypass the 8bit color limitation with the PNG or CELL
> drivers ?

If you have GD-2.* (currently beta; http://www.boutell.com/gd/), the
current CVS version of PNGdriver supports 24-bpp images (provided that
the environment variable GRASS_TRUECOLOR is set to "TRUE").

> * When using CELL or PNG, a bar scale created by "d.barscale" seems deformed
> (the dashes seem shifted). Is this a pb of my configuration, or a bug ?

It's a bug; I'll look into it.

> * How can I export a legend created with "d.leg.thin -s" to a PNG file
> without losing colors (that is, without using a CELL or PNG, still because of
> the 8bit limitation) ?

Currently you'd have to either:

a) install GD-2.* and use the latest CVS version of PNGdriver, or

b) use XDRIVER on a 24-bpp display (a virtual display such as Xvfb or
Xvnc might work) and grab the window contents.

> * How can I create a gradient legend in postscript ? It seems that ps.map
> allows only the creation of a colortable, which is quite overwhelming with
> maps having a lot of categories (a DEM for example).
>
> * How can I create a bar scale (or any other scale) in postscript ?

I suspect that you would need to create it by means other than those
provided by GRASS, then insert it with ps.map's "eps" or "psfile"
commands.