[GRASSLIST:2536] Re: GRASS for Windows???

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Oct 1 08:34:19 EDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 04:08:24AM -0500, Terri Gorham wrote:
> Hi all,
> I saw a mention of GRASS for Windows in the list and wondered how well (if
> at all) GRASS has been ported to that environment.  I also saw something on
> the Baylor web page (I think it was there) about it working in Windows 95
> but could not find
> anything detailed about that.  (I have WinME, so it should work fine,
> right?) I have not used GRASS in a few years since I no longer have easy
> access to a Unix environment and would dearly love to get it to work on my
> machine.  Can anyone update me?  (Please note that I'm not a programmer and
> any installation instructions would have to be very detailed.....for
> example, how do you "compile" GRASS once you get the source code....do I
> have to have a "C" compiler or something like that??)
>
> But, to repeat the main question:  Can anyone update me about using GRASS in
> a Windows environment, please?  Thank you.

Hi,

to summarize: The analysis tools should be working on Windows
using the Cygwin environment (free). Currently a generic windows
map driver is under development. When available, it will become
rather simple to install GRASS on Windows since no extra Xserver
for windows will be needed. Maybe soon an announcement for
testing this new driver will be posted.

Best regards

 Markus Neteler