[GRASSLIST:2537] Re: info about hydrologic aplications

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 1 09:36:06 EDT 2001

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Eric G. Miller wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 21:15:18 -0500, "Guillermo Felipe" <gfmb at tutopia.com> wrote:

  Interesting, but I never received the original message. :-)

> > Well, I'm live in Colombia, South America, I'm happy working in grass,
> > We are very interested in diffuse GRASS in our country. Our idea is to
> > use GRASS in one aplication about Hydrology and remote sensing; for
> > example to analyze hydrologic information in real time or make
> > morfhometric caracterization of basins, I 'm not sure, yet.

> I can't say much in this area other than to note there are several
> modules (or suites of modules) that deal with various hydrological
> aspects.

  I suppose that one could do "real time" analyses, depending on what is
meant by "real time". On the other hand, there are a number of modules and
linked models that perform hydrologic analyses.

  For example, r.watershed and r.fea are two modules that come immediately
to mind. For models, look at the web site's models page. SWAT is probably
the most comprehensive and flexible.

  Now, if wnat you want is terrain analyses, there are several modules that
work for that, too.

  Then there is the consideration of what sort of remotely sensed data will
be used (satellite? aerial photographs?) and for what they will be used.

> > P.D: When I talk about GRASS with people who work with GIS, they ask me:
> > Does GRASS have limitation in the size of files?, but I don´t knok about
> > this,. only the command m.bsplitm ¿What can I tell them?. Thank you,
> > again.

> Yes, It will probably choke above 2GB (depending on architechture).

  IIRC, the newer 2.2.x kernels in linux, and certainly the 2.4.x series
have removed the 2G limit on both file and memory sizes. I don't recall just
what the new limits are, but they are quite large.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com