[GRASSLIST:2549] Re: E00 import problem

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Oct 3 00:14:32 EDT 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:59:45 -0700, JWDougherty <jwd at softcom.net> wrote:

> I want to import a vector file from the California GIS project.  The
> file is
> in an e00 format.  Running m.in.e00 runs without reporting an error, but
> displaying the resulting map displays a number of overlapping lines that
> look
> more or less like a plate of spaghetti.  The projection is Albers, the
> datum
> is NAD27, and I assume the spheroid is Clark 1866.

Could be a "region" coverage?  Did you get the data from CERES? or whom?

> Since I have to create a Location for this data, I provided lat-long
> boundaries that would enclose the state, but otherwise stuck as close to
> the
> coverage description provided by the state.  Some pointers would be
> great.

Ahh, but it's in Albers Equal Area.  Specifically:

PROJ_INFO:
name: Albers Equal Area
datum: nad27
dx: -22.000000
dy: 157.000000
dz: 176.000000
proj: aea
ellps: clark66
a: 6378206.4000000004
es: 0.0067686580
f: 294.9786982000
lat_0: 0.0000000000
lat_1: 34.0000000000
lat_2: 40.5000000000
lon_0: -120.0000000000
x_0: 0.0000000000
y_0: -4000000.0000000000

The North/South/East/West don't matter too much unless you have rasters.
Here are approximate boundaries in the Albers coordinate system:
north:      449866.28
south:      -604596.1
west:       -373729.58000003
east:       540110.82