[GRASSLIST:2547] Re: E00 import problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 2 23:27:07 EDT 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, JWDougherty wrote:

> I want to import a vector file from the California GIS project.  The file
> is in an e00 format.

  First, is it an uncompressed .e00 file? If you look at it with a pager
(such as less) can you read plain, ASCII text?

> Running m.in.e00 runs without reporting an error, but displaying the
> resulting map displays a number of overlapping lines that look more or
> less like a plate of spaghetti.  The projection is Albers, the datum is
> NAD27, and I assume the spheroid is Clark 1866.

  Second, one of the nice things about standards is that we have so many
from which to choose. :-) And ESRI changes the export format without notice,
perhaps with new releases of ARC/Info. Some of the changes are subtle and
break the existing translation filters.

  You might want to send this to Michel to examine. Even if it's not a new
format, there are so many variations in .e00 files that a translator that
works on everything the developer has seen will fail on one that hasn't
passed his computer screen before. Been there, done that.

> Since I have to create a Location for this data, I provided lat-long
> boundaries that would enclose the state, but otherwise stuck as close to the
> coverage description provided by the state.  Some pointers would be great.

  Third, are the data in the file in degrees? This may be your problem.
If you can read the file, search through it for the PROJ section
(projection). In there you'll find the units used. I'll bet they are survey
feet, not degrees. That might mess up the display, too.

HTH,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)