[GRASSLIST:2558] Re: NVIZ out of memory

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Sun Oct 7 00:19:40 EDT 2001

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 17:30:13 +1300, Arne Pallentin <arne at waikato.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just tried to import (successfully) a DEM from ESRI ASCII format, but
> failed displaying it in NVIZ. The error message I get is : Out of
> Memory. Is
> there a way to change memory settings for NVIZ? The ascii file is
> ~360MB. My
> machine (LINUX 2.4.5 kernel, 512MB, 1GB SWAP) is running GRASS 5.0pre2.

Reduce your cell resolution (make cells larger).  I'm surprised you're
running out of memory.  Cell resolution can have a big impact on this
for pretty much all raster/imagery modules.

Those 2.4.x kernels are known to have some memory management issues.
Reportedly, 2.4.10 is working better for some people...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>