[GRASSLIST:2555] Re: Profiles using contour vector lines

Andrea Aime aaime at libero.it
Fri Oct 5 04:21:48 EDT 2001

Well, it can be done with available capabilities, but only if you're willing
to use the C vector API. First create the line as a vector, then use v.patch
to merge with the contour lines (maybe you will also need to run v.spag,
not sure here), then follow the line from node to node with the C api...
but you'll have to give the line a unique indentifier in order to
recognize it after the merge. You can find references to the C api in
the Grass Developer's manual, and also having a look at GRASS sources...
Hope this helps
Best regards
Andrea Aime

PS: althought slower, an interpolation with splines and the r.profile
should be more accurate than using linear segments between contour
lines... just my 1 cent...