[GRASSLIST:2379] Problems Importing GeoTIFF

postogna at libero. postogna at libero.it
Tue Sep 4 06:38:59 EDT 2001

Hello ...
   I would like to describe  a problem I'm facing importing GeoTiff
files, to see if someone can advise me on some wrong procedures or if
it is a GRASS Bug ...

The background is this :
1)I have an ADRG CD with a map of an area.
2)Using NIMA MUSE (Windows version) I extract the region I'm interested
specifying lat/long and a zoom factor of 0.5 ... I cannot use 1.0
because the map than gets too big ( more than 150 Megs).
3) I export it with NIMA MUSE into GeoTIFF.

Now the GRASS part comes:
Info: I'm running GRASS5.0.0Pre1 on a LINUX Box (AMD Duron 800 MHz 128
MBRAM MATROX G450 32MBram)

4) I defined a default region (lat/lon) according to the file I have
5) I load the map with r.in.gdal
6) When I go to display the map all is fine unless for a kind of
distortion of the picture (like if the aspect ratio is not maintained).
I noticed that because the area I'm interested include an air field and
the corners of the air-strip which are supposed to be 90deg. are wider.

7) if, on the contrary, I define a region just x/y of the size of the
map I convert the map using r.in.tiff (which seams not to get the
georeferencing from the header) and displays it ... all is ok no
distortion ...

For my purposes I can work also with a X/Y projection since I'm trying
to draw profiles and LOS (this require another mail by itself...) but
I'll prefer any how to be georeferenced ...

 I'll appreciate any possible help .. best regards Fulvio Postogna

Fulvio Postogna
Nato C3 AGENCY
The Hague
The Netherlands