[GRASSLIST:2409] Re: Problems running grass in XWindows in cygwin on NT

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Sat Sep 8 11:23:57 EDT 2001

Hi Ted,

i cc'ed your message to the winGRASS mailing list, as it might be more
appropriate there.

ted byers wrote:

[snip]

> However, despite these installations appearing to go smoothly, I have a
> problem running grass from within XWindows.  Once XWindows has started, and
> regardless of what my current directory is, I can start grass simply by
> typing grass5<ret>.  When I do so, I get the initial welcome screen, with
> the instruction to enter return at the end of that screen. When I do so,
> grass issues the following error and dies.
>
> Error opening terminal: xterm
> Invalid resource file.  removing /home/Bted/.grass5
>
> Can anyone tell me what has gone awry here, and how I might fix it?

I am not sure what the problem is. Obviously the term variable is not
set correctly. I would suggest that you try the startxgrass.bat file i
send you via private mail. This startup file is part of my ongoning work
on the winGRASS port.
Alternatively you should try to log in new with:
bash --login -i
from within the xterm. This should set all paths and log you correctly
in.

You'll need to install the xtclttk8.*.tar.gz file from the GRASS
distribution too. Please refer to the installation instruction.

> Once I get this solved, I intend to explore the use of grass for
> geostatistics and for modelling (beginning with the links to geostatistics
> and modelling sites from the grass website.  Is there a simple tutorial type
> document showing how I might a) construct a simulation model in grass, and
> b) couple a grass simulation model with various other kinds of models I may
> have developed using fortran 95 or C++?

Please look at the main GRASS homepage at http://grass.itc.it. It has
most of the information you need.

HTH,

Andreas
url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net