[GRASSLIST:2419] RE: Problems running grass in XWindows in cygwin on NT

ted byers ted.byers at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 10 16:04:18 EDT 2001

Thanks Andreas,

First, I would mention that Malcolm's fix for the X Windows installation
fixed the error.

> In a Cygwin bash command shell execute:
>
> tic /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap      //(Xinstall.sh has
> xterm.terminfo)
>
> This should set up the right xterm definitions so that grass will run
> correctly in XFree86 with TERM=xterm.

Your batch file also mostly worked.  I get the same error when I shut down
grass.

"Invalid resource file.  removing /home/Bted/.grass5"

Is this resource file something grass creates when it first starts, or do I
need to make one manually (and if so, what goes in it)?

More significantly for your batch file, there is a slight error in it.

I had made the following change, to fit my setup:

REM ----- Path to your CYGWIN ROOT
REM set CYGWIN=\cygwin
set CYGWIN=\Gnu
REM

As well as the following change:

REM ----- Adapted for XFree86
REM set BIN=.;\cygwin\bin
REM set LIB=\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib
set BIN=.;\GNU\bin
set LIB=\GNU\usr\X11R6\bin;\GNU\usr\X11R6\lib

Then, What I see is an initial message from cmd.exe is that a path is not
found, and then grass appears to start normally.

Then I looked in your batch file and saw the following:

REM
REM ------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
REM ----- nothing to change below!
REM ------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
REM
REM ----- This is your local DISPLAY
set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
REM
REM ----- Cleanup after last run.
REM
if not exist \cygwin\tmp\.X11-unix\X0 goto CLEANUP-FINISH
attrib -s \cygwin\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
del \cygwin\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
:CLEANUP-FINISH
rmdir \cygwin\tmp\.X11-unix
REM

It seems to me that the statement about nothing to change after it is in the
wrong place since I ought to have changed the paths in the cleanup section
of the script to reflect my setup also.

Thanks again,

Ted