[GRASSLIST:3406] importing NRCS ssurgo data.

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Mon Apr 1 21:34:27 EST 2002

Folks,

I've been trying to import soil data (NRCS ssurgo data) into GRASS 5.0pre2.
I've found that v.in.arc will not read the *.e00 files at all.  iIt reports a
fatal error reading the line file.  I does import the DLG files, but once I
have them into GRASS I find it difficult to associate the mapped features
with the NRCS map units.

Continuous areas in adjacent quadrangles always have the same category
number.  However, when I use the attribute file to associate the category
number with a mapped soil type I get different soil types in each quadrangle.
 That is, the minor attribute from the DLG file for one quadrangle maps to
one soil type; a continuous area in the adjacent quadrangle has the same
minor attribute, but that attribute maps to an entirely different soil.

What is the correct method for associating the category numbers in the
imported DLG file with soil map unit IDs?

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates