[GRASSLIST:3487] Re: NMEA log to GRASS vector?

Alejandro Hinojosa alhinc at cicese.mx
Wed Apr 10 22:20:16 EDT 2002

James,

I don't think grass can do datum shifts or transformations, I think datum
info is there for information puposes only. Correct me if I am wrong. What
you can do,  is to set your GPS to use the ellipsoide and datum of your
preference, so the ouput will match with  your data. Most GPS have this
capability.

If the mountain does not come to you,  go to the mountain :)

Alejandro

At 10:50 AM 4/11/02 +1000, James Cameron wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 12:21:19PM -0700, Alejandro Hinojosa wrote:
> > I handle NMEA sentences and waypoint downloads with awk scripts to import
> > them to grass or whatever.
>
>Just what I needed, thanks.
>
> > The file generated can be imported throgh v.in.ascii then projected to
> > whatever with v.proj.
>
>Ah, I think this is my next question ... given that my existing location
>is in UTM using Australian Geodetic 1966, and the NMEA log conversion
>gives me latitude longitude using WGS 84 ... how do I proceed?
>
>I've read the manual pages for v.proj, g.setproj, and I've verified my
>datum is in the datum.table, but I don't want to break anything.
>
>Do I run g.setproj to add the datum to the location?  I get a warning
>that suggests I should not do this.  I think I'm confused and uncertain.
>
>--
>James Cameron    mailto:quozl at us.netrek.org     http://quozl.netrek.org/

Alejandro Hinojosa Corona
Geology Department ,Earth Sciences Division
CICESE
P.O. Box 434843
San Diego Ca. 92143-4843

Phone + 52 646 174-5050 ext 26045