[GRASSLIST:3537] How to import data from EOS

Ray Drapek drapek at FSL.ORST.EDU
Wed Apr 17 20:57:24 EDT 2002

> The MODIS data is hdf.
> Has anyone any experience in importing any of these data into GRASS?

Some information I picked up from my IDL user's manual (I have not
worked with this format myself):

HDF - Hierarchical Data Format

The Hierarchical Data Format (HDF) is a multi-object file format
that facilitates the transfer of various types of data between
machines and operating systems. HDF is a product of the National
Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA). HDF is designed to
be flexible, portable, self-describing and easily extensible for
future enhancements or compatibility with other standard formats.
The HDF library contains interfaces for storing and retrieving
images and multi-dimensional scientific data. This version of IDL
supports HDF 4.1r3. IDL's HDF routines all begin with the prefix
"HDF_".

Further information about HDF can be found on the World Wide Web
at the HDF Information Server:

http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Alternately, you can send e-mail to hdfhelp at ncsa.uiuc.edu.