[GRASSLIST:3541] Re: How to import data from EOS

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Apr 18 02:28:09 EDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 05:57:24PM -0700, Ray Drapek wrote:
> > The MODIS data is hdf.
> > Has anyone any experience in importing any of these data into GRASS?

Hi,

I am  currently merging a piece of software from below mentioned page into
r.in.hdf. So far I can read all MODIS (only partially working yet for the 2Q
product) and also ASTER. Missing is still the support of geocoding. I hope
to finish that soon (IDL is not needed).

A second problem is the MODIS ISIN projection. A colleague of
mine currently tries to implement it into PROJ4 (recently Czech Krovak
projection was added which we can study now). Without ISIN support in GRASS
the MODIS data are quite unusable unless you use the 'MODIS Reprojection
Tool' (which, however, does not read the 250m 2Q product).

AVHRR you can import with r.in.bin directly. It's just a bit tricky
to set up the Goode Homolosine projection.

Cheers

 Markus Neteler