[GRASSLIST:3549] Re: Book announcement: "Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach"

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Apr 19 05:37:31 EDT 2002

Hi Paul,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 10:01:23AM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello
> It is a little unclear to me too. My understanding is:

we hope not to confuse everybody! Our current intention is
to organize bulk sales to reduce the production costs. This is
a quite unusual situation as normally publishers do not negotiate
the book price with their authors. We are quite lucky to have the
opportunity to organize presales to reduce the final list price.

> 1) If someone wants to buy at least 20 books, they can do it now for a
> *guaranteed* price of 50 dollars.

Yes (we are collected that). This is intended to resellers. Later, in one
month or so, when the book reaches the market place, the price will be
higher (due to shipping, profit etc.). An opportunity to buy the book
besides shops and online books stores will be
http://www.freegis.org

Eventually (not sure, not yet discussed) FreeGIS can also collect individual
requests now (though, for more than 50$). But that is an issue of the
FreeGIS people.

> 2) If they want to buy less than 20 books (e.g. just one, which is what I
> would want), they can pre-order it from you, and the price will be
> somewhere between 50 and 100 dollars but you can't say exactly how much as
> the publisher will only set it once the initial print run is completed.

Yes and no. From Helena and me currently only more than 20 books can be
ordered. Individual books are sold later as usual: shop, online bookstore,
FreeGIS.org and the further resellers who will order now. The final price
will be between 50 and 100 dollars and could differ from where you buy it.

Please note that the book is in the presses now. The more books which we
know to be sold now (to resellers), the more books will be printed,
subsequently the lower is the list price.

> Is this the situation or am I confusing it further? (hopefully not)
>
> Paul

I hope that above comments answer your questions.

Kind regards

 Markus Neteler

--
Markus Neteler

ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
     Project on Predictive Models for the Environment
Via Sommarive, 18        -      38050 Povo (Trento), Italia
tel +39 0461 314 -520 (fax -591)          http://mpa.itc.it