[GRASSLIST:4219] Re: Compile problem - newbie

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Aug 5 17:39:02 EDT 2002

Daniel Victoria wrote:

> It's the first time I tried to compile Grass5pre5 and
> things were going well until I got the followin
> message at the end of make:
> GRASS GIS compilation log
> -------------------------
> Start of compilation: Mon Aug  5 15:51:11 BRT 2002
> Errors:
> Compilation error in module: src/libes/edit (ignored)

There is a known problem with certain versions of gcc, particularly
the one which is supplied with Mandrake 8.x, which results in the file
src/libes/edit/edit_cellhd.c failing to compile.

> Compilation error in module: src/general/init (ignored)

Along with the other errors, this is a consequence of src/libes/edit
failing to compile. Unfortunately, this particular error is fatal. The
programs in src/general/init comprise the GRASS startup sequence;
without these, you can't start GRASS.

However, you can solve the problem by changing the return type of
format_value() (line 105 of src/libes/edit/edit_cellhd.c) from
"double" to "void", i.e. change:

	static double format_value(...
to:
	static void format_value(...