[GRASSLIST:4258] Re: can´t start grass5

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Aug 9 00:32:13 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 05:02:42PM -0500, Roberto Rosado Solorzano wrote:
> Hello everybody . . .
> I'm a begginer with GRASS  and i've just downloaded and installed a
> precompiled binary named
>
> grass-5.0.0pre3-sol8-sparc-opt.gz with pkgadd -d command
>
> on a Sun Blade 100 workstation  in  /opt/GNUgrass/
>
> i've followed the instructions in
> http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/solaris_sun/
> after that, when i pretend to run the program, first i got a wellcoming
> screen that ends with "hit any key" then i got this warning and the
> program running is killed
> "ld.so.1: /opt/GNUgrass/grass5/etc/set_data: fatal: libncurses.so.5:
> open failed: No such file or directory
> Killed"
>
> maybe some applet is missing??    would you lend me a hand please

libncurses is a "curses" library which does the dirty work of drawing
characters at arbitrary places in a terminal (among other things).  It's
pretty widely used in GRASS.  You'll need to locate and install a copy
of libncurses.so.5 for Solaris in order to use that binary.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>