[GRASSLIST:4345] Re: .gislock woes & success

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Aug 20 19:29:42 EDT 2002

Bill Sneed wrote:

> I've been trying to install 5.0.0pre5 on an Athlon 900MHZ that I've
> previously installed at least 3 other 5.0.0preX versions. I've
> consistently gotten the "/usr/local/grass5/etc/lock: No such file or
> directory" message.
>
> The error.log file did show problems with the src/general/init/
> compilation.  Using gmake5 -i produced the same message others had
> received & did _not_ fix the problem.
>
> The only major change to this RedHat 7.1 linux was the replacement of
> gcc2.96 with 3.1 two months ago. (Was taking some C++ courses and things
> work better with newer version.) This is the first "upgrade" of GRASS
> since that change.
>
> So, following Neil Murphy's lead in his 21 June posting, I tried the
> following:
>
> CFLAGS="O3 -march=athlon" ./configure ...the usual stuff here...
> [ NOTE the -march= rather than -mcpu=...this is from the gcc3.1 docs]
>
> Did _not_ need to do the gmake5 routine and things now working nicely.
>
> I'm not enough of a C-pgmmer to explain this but it does work.  Problems
> with gcc 3.1?????

AFAIK, it has also been reported with some versions of gcc-2.96.
However, the problem invariably manifests itself as an "internal
compiler error", triggered by some dubious code (a function which is
declared as returning "double" but doesn't actually include any
"return" statements).

Certain code-generation switches cause the problem to disappear, as
does changing the function's return type to "void".