[GRASSLIST:4374] Re: PNG memory usage

cheg01 at attbi.com cheg01 at attbi.com
Sun Aug 25 13:51:11 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glynn Clements" <glynn.clements at virgin.net>
To: <cheg01 at attbi.com>; <grasslist at baylor.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 10:39 PM
Subject: [GRASSLIST:4350] Re: PNG memory usage

> Glynn Clements wrote:
>
> > 1. There is a memory leak in the PNG driver's polygon-drawing routine
> > (see src/display/devices/PNGdriver/Polygn_abs.c).
>
> I've committed a fix for this; you can obtain the updated version of
> that file from:

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass/src/display/devices
/PNGdriver/Polygn_abs.c?rev=1.2

> --
> Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

Thank you, the PNG driver performs as it should now. Memory usage during
image creation is about 165 megs (4x8 bit integers * (5714x7469 pixels))
and it does not increase during subsequent display commands. Memory usage
does increase by a factor of two after the "d.mon stop=PNG" command is
issued, but I presume that is for the compression of the image before
writing to disk. Final file size for the d.his image was 44 megs compared
to 1.4 megs for the d.rast image, but there is a lot more color variation
in the d.his image.