[GRASSLIST:4349] Re: PNG memory usage

Gordon Keith gordon.keith at csiro.au
Tue Aug 20 23:52:26 EDT 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:56, cheg01 at attbi.com wrote:
> I'm trying to understand how the PNG driver uses memory. I would like
> to save full 10 meter resolution images of 1:100000 quads in
> truecolor. I have gd 2.0. I'm running Solaris 8 Sparc with 384 megs
> memory and 512 megs swap.

> d.his h_map=geol i_map=aspect
> PNG runs until 30% complete, then Size exceeds 880 megs
> ERROR: G_malloc: out of memory

As a work around, if you have root access, you can create a file in the
file system and add it to the swap space available. For details see:
man swap

Roughly the commands are:
su
mkfile 1024m /var/swapfile
swap -a /var/swapfile

gives you an extra 1GB of swap space.

swap -d /var/swapfile
releases that file from swap so you can delete it if you want the disk
space back.

The swapfile can be anywhere on a local disk or nfs mount, but the
faster the better.

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith
Programmer/Data Analyst

God showed his love for us by sending his only Son into the world,
so that we might have life through him.
  -- 1 John 4:9