[GRASSLIST:5121] Re: Cannot open a window with d.mon

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Dec 1 16:46:13 EST 2002

Doug Gorley wrote:

> When I try to open a window in GRASS, I get the following error:
>
> GRASS:~ > d.mon start=x0
> Shared object "libSM.so.6" not found
> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
> Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
>
> The missing file is in two places on my system:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6
> /usr/pkg/share/x11-links/lib/libSM.so.6
>
> How can I get GRASS to find this file?

"libSM.so.6" is almost certainly a symlink to the actual file (e.g.
libSM.so.6.0), so the actual file also has to exist.

Assuming that it does, the details of how shared libraries are located
are highly platform-specific. As you haven't told us what platform
you're using, I'll assume that it's Linux. In which case, you need to
ensure that /usr/X11R6/lib is listed in /etc/ld.so.conf; if it wasn't,
add it, then run "ldconfig" as root.