[GRASSLIST:5122] Labeling imported layers

douggorley at shaw.ca douggorley at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 1 21:42:07 EST 2002

Doug Gorley wrote:

> When I try to open a window in GRASS, I get the following error:
>
> GRASS:~ > d.mon start=x0
> Shared object "libSM.so.6" not found
> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
> Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
>
> The missing file is in two places on my system:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6
> /usr/pkg/share/x11-links/lib/libSM.so.6
>
> How can I get GRASS to find this file?

>"libSM.so.6" is almost certainly a symlink to the >actual file (e.g.
>libSM.so.6.0), so the actual file also has to >exist.

>Assuming that it does, the details of how shared >libraries are located
>are highly platform-specific. As you haven't told >us what platform
>you're using, I'll assume that it's Linux. In >which case, you need to
>ensure that /usr/X11R6/lib is listed in >/etc/ld.so.conf; if it wasn't,
>add it, then run "ldconfig" as root.

Thanks, that worked perfectly.  I've got another question:

I'm using some data I imported from Arc/Info using Arc's "ungenerate"command.  It doesn't appear to have any categories in the imported layer.  All I need is to assign a single category to all of the lines in my layer, so I can do some buffering.  I'm trying to do this with v.digit, using the "B - Bulk Label Remaining Lines" option, but I'm not having any success.  Is this the correct way to do what I want, and if not, can someone give me some advice on what to do?

Thanks,

Doug Gorley | douggorley at shaw.ca