[GRASSLIST:5170] resolution problems

bfdi533 bfdi533 at cbacc-security3.bus.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 6 13:56:39 EST 2002

I have a mapset that is a global lat/long region.  I have created some raster
maps from sites.  Eash site has 1 point in it for a region of interest.  When
the raster maps were created, they were created at a resolution of 00:01:00.  I
then take these raster maps and create a poly from them and then convert these
to vector using the procedure here:

r.buffer units=miles input=country_us output=buffer1 distances=983.788895393345
r.poly -l -b input=buffer1 output=buffer1
..
(repeats 7 more times for buffer2 - buffer8)
..
v.patch input=buffer1,buffer2,buffer3,buffer4,buffer5,buffer6,buffer7,buffer8
ou
tput=buffer_2002-11-26_top10
v.support buffer_2002-11-26_top10

The problem is that this takes a very long time and since the output will be a
postscript printout on a letter-size page, the resolution does not need to be
this big.

It was my understanding that if I change the resolution then the maps created
would be resampled as needed.  However, when I change the resolution to
00:05:00 the commands run very quickly but produce blank output layers.  There
is nothing in any of the bufferx files nor is there anything in the vector
files or even the patched output.

Any help?

Ed Davison