[GRASSLIST:3103] Parallel processing in GRASS. Possible?

Antonio G. nightnavigator at libero.it
Thu Feb 7 13:55:16 EST 2002

Hi.

I was wondering how to compute the time necessaary for generating a DTM with r.surf.contour according to the resolution of the area and the power of the macchine genrating the DTM.
I tried to get a DTM for an area of 11kmx12km at 2.1 meters resolution on a Pnetium III 450Mhz and found out that after 48 hours the counter was still at 0%.
So I decided to set the resolution at 4.2 meters (double of the prior) and now, after 32 hours the process indacator is at 22%. Is there a way to now how fast the DTM will be created on a macchine?
Does a mask set with r.mask, which would cut out some areas of the 11x12km area, reduce the computation time of r.surf.contour?

I was thinking to solve the problem increasing the computation power considering that I have a LAN with 3 PCs maybe using parallel processing with Beowulf or something like that. Is Grass capable of parallel processing?

Thanks
--
                 Antonio Gennarini
                Crecchio, CH - ITALY