[GRASSLIST:3117] landscape

J.c.m. van der Kwast jkwast at home.nl
Mon Feb 11 08:44:14 EST 2002

Hi everybody,

The problem I'm hoping to solve with your help is the following. I've
created a DEM from digitized contours (proj (x,y) area is 4500 by 4500
(also to be read as meters)) which after dealing with some problems
(read the mail from Helena Mitasova) gave me quite satisfactory results.
Now I'm trying to patch or drape contour ridges (earthen walls (1- 2m
high, 1-4m broad) used in agriculture to align slope in fields (max
2-4%)). I've digitized these contours rigdes and gave them heights as
cat value . When I raster these, after running r.buffer to give them a
width, and project them in NVIZ, the problems arising, are that they do
not seem to be smooth but show peaks in the middle of the rastered
cells. Another problem after using mapcalc and adding the contours to my
DEM, is that there is no way to control the dimensions of different
objects, they all have the same dimensions in height, but they should be
different. So my obvious questions are how to smooth them so the
contours don't seem jagged and how to assign different heights to the
contours. Attached is a jpeg image 32.1 K to show the problems. If
anyone can help, thanks

Greetings,

Sjors

Student Tropical Agriculture, Larenstein Deventer, The Netherlands