[GRASSLIST:3161] Re: [GRASS5] Re: Grass GUI

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Sun Feb 17 09:52:32 EST 2002

On Sunday 17 February 2002 09:30, Radim Blazek wrote:

> Question for users:
> In current version, each monitor has its own region, which is independent
> of grass (WIND) region. That causes two problems:
> - monitor must be redisplayed before query (otherwise query lies)
> - it is impossible continue in work from command line (for example
>     display layers by d.dm and then query by d.what.*.pg)
> Due to that problems I propose to remove that feature and synchronize
> d.m region with grass region. What do you think about?

Radim,

I'm working on a program for GRASS that I was going to present to the
developers as a proposal.  It may overcome the diffiiculties that you list
above.

It is a daemon, started during GRASS initialization and stopped on exit.  It
is intended to add persistence and to manage access to some resources.  It
requires no input from the user.  It's most obvious effects are to
automatically erase the selected monitor when the monitor window is changed
and to automatically stop any monitor that is running when the user exits
from GRASS.

It includes changes to a small number of library functions that allows more
flexibility.  It arranges for G_get_window and other window functions to
always provide information about the window settings of the currently
selected monitor, not from the database WIND files.  The final capability I
intended to add before I presented the program allows each monitor to be
associated with an entirely different GIS environment.  That allows a user to
display and work with data from more than one mapset and more than one
database location at the same time.

Its  capabilities could be expanded further.

I haven't used d.dm and I don't know what effect my proposal might have on
it's capabilities or limitations, but it sounds like my proposal might fix
your problem while also expanding GRASS useability in other areas.

Roger Miller