[GRASSLIST:3173] Re: Fw: Mandrake 8.0

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Wed Feb 20 05:55:56 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:27:12PM -0000, Moïse TOLLA wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I try to use Grass under Mandrake 8.0 without success.
> The rpm version I use is the one contain on the freegis CD 1.1.0.
> How do i get the grass5 or grass4.3 command run in /usr/local/bin
> When I type "grass5" , I receive an error message

Can you send us the message?

> Does someone experience the same problems ?
>
> As I'm new to Linux, I don't really know what to do.
> Please help

Depending on how new you are, you might be confused about how to copy
and paste from a terminal--it works differently from some of those
cheap OSes. :)  Just in case, here's how to do it: use the left mouse
button to drag out a selection, and then click the middle mouse button
where you want to paste.  (If your mouse is a two-button, clicking both
buttons simultaneously should emulate the middle button.)

Another thing that I often do to send long error messages to people,
is run the "script" command.  To see if you have it installed, type
"which script".  If you see a path, like /usr/bin/script, then you
have it installed.  Otherwise I'm sure it's on one of your Mandrake
CDs.  Once you have "script" installed, you can simply type "script"
at the command line before running the problematic command.  When the
command exits, hit Ctrl-D in the shell, and the entire output of the
command (along with everything you typed) will be captured in a file
called "typescript".  You can then attach that file to an email.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net