[GRASSLIST:3243] Rastering

J.c.m. van der Kwast jkwast at home.nl
Wed Feb 27 09:43:45 EST 2002

Hi everybody,

For some time now I'm wrestling with the rasterization of thin
linear/area objects. The case is as follows, xy projection, area 5000 x
5000 m (or units), grid 1 x1. I've got thin areas of 3 m wide and trying
to raster them. I would expect to see them as thin linear objects in a
raster map of the whole area. But the areas are broken. When zooming in
extremely then the areas seem to form lines or areas again, but are they
continuous? Maybe it has something to do with the scale?
When given a z value and patched with a dem, the dem is correctly
displayed but the thin areas are broken into pieces (as they are in the
whole raster map). Does it mean that I should divide the map up into
small portions with a desirable resolution, raster them and patch them
back together in the desired resolution? Personnally I don't think it
will help as the areas formed do not seem to be continuous.
Some time ago I wrote a mail with the title landscape. The problem is
much the same, only with rastering linear features. As my background is
not GIS (but agriculture) it could be I'm trying to do something which
isn't possible at all. But looking at it logically, a feature of 1 cell
in a grid of 1 x1 should at least take the value I've given it. If it
doesn't show up at the screen I can live with it. Problem is, it does
sometimes will and sometimes won't show up.
I've been playing around with a lot of functions and manuals but still
this puzzles me greatly. If anyone has any answers, I'd be most grateful,

Warm regards,

Sjors