[GRASSLIST:3250] Re: Rastering

Erin ODoherty/RMRS/USDAFS eodoherty at fs.fed.us
Wed Feb 27 13:33:51 EST 2002

Sjors,
I think you are right that it has to do with scale and resolution.  One
thing that helps visualize this is to zoom in on a small spot of your
raster and then superimpose the vector and a grid (with d.grid if your
region boundaries start on whole units equal to your resolution) to see
where the gaps are and why.   If the digitized polygon takes up less than
1/2 of a grid square it does not show up.  If the feature is less than the
resolution, you can not deal with it.

I have had similar needs and problems dealing narrow polygons, in my case
with roads and narrow spots along meadows.  I digitized them as areas
because I wanted a raster with representative road widths and I want my map
to reflect the connectivity.  I tried finer resolutions, eventually it
works, but that is a pain, I don't really want to work with a 2m x 2m
raster.  One compromise is to make the features labeled lines in v.digit,
then rasterize those vectors and r.patch the narrow raster on the other
map.  Often the only connectivity is at the corners, so it's not really one
continuous polygon, but it's better than nothing.  Also, of course, your
feature is exaggerated, but depending on your question, that may not be a
big problem.  I believe the only alternative is to work with a finer
resolution, or vectors.  (I used the latter, when trying to calculate
landscape metrics.)
Good luck.

Erin O'Doherty
Laramie, WY, USA

                    "J.c.m. van der
                    Kwast"                  To:     grasslist at baylor.edu
                    <jkwast at home.nl>        cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     [GRASSLIST:3247] Re: Rastering
                    owner-GRASSLIST@
                    baylor.edu

                    02/27/02 09:20
                    AM

Hi Karine,

Yes, I've checked region settings, there's no problem at all. I ddin't
mention it before, but I've also tried to buffer the cells (r.grow (1
cell) and r.buffer, and with mapcalc tried to define them as areas again
( in mapcalc use some like newfile = file + buffered_file). This does'nt
seem to work as well, unless the buffer is like 5 m which would
exaggerate the features enormously. Also the neighborhood module, has
been tried. Same story, you must exaggerate enormously (e.g. buffer 9
cells up to 13 cells). I've been trying afterwards to thin the map with
r.thin leaving me the result I've started out with. I think the problem
has more to do with scale and resolution. Well I'll keep on trying this
and that, thanks anyway,

Greetings,

Sjors