[GRASSLIST:2894] Re: SOSI files

Lars Forseth larsf at powertech.no
Fri Jan 11 16:49:06 EST 2002

Hi!

I do not know of any conversion programs from SOSI to GRASS.

Writing one could be easy or a huge task; depending on what you want. If you
just look at the fileformat its a simple ASCII format file with the data in
lines, starting at the top of the file (with a header) and then a line for
each feature or attribute. So a simple conversion program to just convert the
features would probably not be to difficult. However if you would like to
also convert the attributes you would have a big job ahead of you as the
standard now is at 3.5MB as an access database.

SOSI is actualy quite a uniqe beast in Europe (at least I think it is) as its
an operational national standard for GIS data - in Norway. It is also created
in an "open source" fasion in that anyone can participate in the working
groups that create the standard; about 5-6 groups now I think. And a small
secretariat at the national mapping authority (http://www.statkart.no).

Any of the big GIS suppliers in Norway have conversion programs or routines
(in their software). On the aforementioned website you kan download a program
called "sosivis" which can display "legal" (i.e syntacticaly correct) SOSI
files. I use a conversion program created by the ESRI supplier in norway
called "sosi2shape" (http://www.geodata.no), at my job at university of Oslo.
It creates shapefiles from SOSI files (often several as a SOSI file can
contain both points, lines and polygons).

However more interesting for the spread of GRASS in Norway would be if some
of the Norwegian users of GRASS could look at creating a conversion program.
I know of instances where people have done this to i.e Illustrator. For all I
know somebody could already have done so!

Regards

Lars Forseth