[GRASSLIST:2889] Re: SOSI files

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jan 11 09:32:17 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 04:31:49PM +0100, Roger Bivand wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, anne-claire serres wrote:
> > Does anybody know what is a SOSI file ?

> I'm afraid it is a Norwegian standard vector storage format:
> http://www.statkart.no/standard/sosi/html/welcome.htm
>
> SOSI GIS as search keys in Google give a number of commercial programmes
> for converting SOSI to shape and other formats, but all on pages in
> Norwegian.

Are there any Free Software tools among them?

	There is a lot of commercial Free Software!

I guess that you've meant proprietory converters.
(There are many publications where I saw the confusion between
commercial programms (standing for development as revenue generating
activity and sometimes for quality) and propietory programms (not
freedom attached, you might need to pay for licenses) Took this
opportunity to make the point again.).