[GRASSLIST:2918] Re: map server

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jan 17 08:51:46 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:52:32PM +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:
> Wow Markus, wonderful!!!
> Is it straightforward to set up or does it still need a good
> developer and a lot of work? (I mean, is this something
> that has been done by itc/irst developers or is something publicly
> available?)

well... it's quite easy (10 minutes?). Just add the GRASS layer to
a working MapServer and compile libgrass into GDAL.

> Is there any howto describing how to publish a GRASS mapset on the
> net with mapserver? A setup guide?

Coming soon, I'll prepare something. The only tricky parts are

 - compiling libgrass into GDAL (o.k., not really difficult)
 - make the system find the .grassrc5 which you have to provide
   (just find the $HOME of the Apache server)

I have already added some MapServer related comments into
the README of libgrass from Frank Warmerdam. From that you
will be able to install it.

Later, when libgrass will read also GRASS vector and sites data
directly, we will have full LOCATION access. Then it becomes really
great.

Ciao

 Markus

--
Markus Neteler

ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
     Project on Predictive Models for the Environment
Via Sommarive, 18        -      38050 Povo (Trento), Italia
tel +39 0461 314 -520 (fax -591)          http://mpa.itc.it