[GRASSLIST:2926] fifo problems with GRASS 5.0.0 pre3

Ilja Schneider schneider at onestepahead.de
Thu Jan 17 12:32:17 EST 2002

Hello folks,

I just compiled GRASS 5.0.0 pre3. After solving little problems with
permissions on some scripts and modules I created a new location and
imported a tif file without any problem. But as tried to start a monitor
d.mon threw following message:

"Usage x0 [-] "input_fifo output_fifo" [nlev]
Can't stat /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
Can'stat /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a..."

/usr/local/grass5/dev/ containes only two scripts: create_fifos.sh and
create_ipics.sh

Hmmm... I tried to be clever and took create_fifos.sh to create the
these fifos.
I specified a another target, because I can't overwrite the dev
directory and moved all generated fifos into the dev directory. But
without success d.mon threw following message:

"Usage x0 [-] "input_fifo output_fifo" [nlev]
Please start graphics monitor <x0>
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running"

What is wrong?

Ilja Schneider.