[GRASSLIST:2979] Re: GRASS pre 3 on RedHat 7.2

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jan 24 08:06:18 EST 2002

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:29:23PM +0100, Daniel Tourde wrote:
> Hello Markus,
>

> > please send them to me (attachment), I'll put them into the CVS.
> > Thanks a lot,
>
> I have a little problem, it is a simple one I presume and I think you
> can help me to solve it.
> I have built the RPMs for GRASS5pre3 but they are HUGE...
> I compared with my RPMS fore GRASS5pre2 and I discovered that my
> binaries in pre3 ar about 5 times as big as the ones in pre2... I
> suppose, somewhere, somehow, there is still the -g option during
> compilation.
> By default it was not there in pre2 and it is there now in pre3. What am
> I suppposed to do to get rid of it in an elegant way? (I suppose a
> parameter somewhere in ./configure or wit gmake5)

The reason is that you probably did not "strip" the binaries.
When configuring, use:

CFLAGS="-O2" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure .... [all the options]

Then you will receive small, fast binaries. We had changed the default
to omit optimization to allow debugging. For a binary release the
stripping should be done.

Note, for this reason I removed the SUN/Solaris binaries (also too
big). A new package is on the way.

Hope this helps,

 Markus

PS: Have a look to INSTALL, it's explained there.