[GRASSLIST:2991] Re: Map production under grass.

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jan 24 23:29:20 EST 2002

Antonio wrote:

> I was reading some documentation on paper map production under grass
> and I figured out somethings I hope are right:
>
> a) hte main map making tool under grass is ps.map. Howevere seems to
> be difficult to tune it according to your will. I'm not satisfied of
> it's output. Where can I get good docs on this packaeg? Is the man
> page the best of it?

Yes. If you want details which aren't in the manpage, you'll have to
look at the source code.

> b) I read in some grass tutorial that there is a package not included
> in grass called Mapgen. I found the site of this program and it seems
> that it's only available for Windows platform. Isn't there any linux
> (unix) version? Does it prodice better output than ps.map?
>
> c) if I were to use windows version of Mapgen because there is no unix
> version, is there any specific way to import grass database
> information in the mapgen package?

I'm not familiar with Mapgen, so I can't answer these.

> d) besides the two programs I mentioned above, are there any other
> that are goodly interfaced with grass?

Another good package for generating maps is GMT (see
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/gmt/). It doesn't directly interface to
GRASS, but would have thought that it would be possible to export
GRASS data in a suitable format.