[GRASSLIST:4046] Re: Postgres and g.select.db problem.

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Sat Jul 6 21:11:05 EDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 09:23:44AM -0300, Christoph Simon wrote:
> Just a blind try: Might it be possible that you are connecting with
> psql via local Unix sockets, while having setup an inet connection
> from withing Grass, for instance specifying a hostname? Maybe, your
> postgres isn't configured to listen on any tcp port at all; I think
> this would be the default on a debian system. You might also want to
> check the settings in pg_hba.conf. This file can allow connections on
> 127.0.0.1 but deny (or require password authentication) those in your
> local address (e.g., 192.168.x.x).

Thanks, the problem was in pg_hba.conf.  It was allowing connections
to localhost, but was requiring a password.  As you say, psql must use
Unix sockets.

Now I have a new problem (with v.in.shape.pg), but I'll start another
thread for that one. :)

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.
		-- Blaise Pascal