[GRASSLIST:4065] Re: Help grass for win2000

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jul 11 17:54:58 EDT 2002

christian.ayala at macosa.com wrote:

> I have a problem, the following message of error I'm not how resolve this
> problem.
>
> Thanks for help me.
>

> GRASS:/ > d.mon x0
> Graph_Set: can't open Display

This indicates that XOpenDisplay() failed. Likely reasons include:

1. No X server is running.
2. The environment variable DISPLAY is not set.

Note that there are two sets of precompiled binaries for Cygwin.

The version in

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_xserver/

requires an X server (e.g. XFree86, eXceed, X-Win32), while the
version in:

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_generic/

doesn't (it uses an Xlib emulation, based upon that used by Cygwin's
version of "rxvt").

AFAICT, the XOpenDisplay() implementation in the Xlib emulation which
is used by the wingrass_generic version can't fail, which suggests
that you are using the version which requires an X server.

If you build GRASS from the source code, you need to use the
--enable-w11 configure switch to get the version which doesn't require
an X server.