[GRASSLIST:4086] Re: normal distribution

Thomas Dewez thomas.dewez at brunel.ac.uk
Tue Jul 16 12:43:34 EDT 2002

Bill,
Thanks very much for your comments. I am talking here about
photogrammetrically extracted DEMs (black and white air-photos at 1:40.000
roughly). There is an issue relating to detecting false fixes (i.e.
erroneous elevations) in relation to the automatic extraction algorithm.
Mike Gooch at Loughborough university explored the problem a few years ago.

http://www.geovista.psu.edu/sites/geocomp99/Gc99/050/abs99-050.htm. This is
also published in Computers and Geosciences.

He found that only some pixels were sensitive to changes of extraction
parameters. Those pixels are algorithm artefacts but they also turn out to
be the least accurate elevations when compared to independant elevation
controls. This finding is valid for various photogrammetric software. He
devised an algorithm to flag inaccurate pixels by comparing two DEM of the
same area extracted with two different parameter sets (this might be a
paired statistical problem by the way, how does one treat those?). His
so-called Failure Warning Model removes pixels whose elevation was
interpolated (because void of elevation information, this is given as an
output by Orthomax, the photogrammetric software) and also those whose
elevation difference is larger than a given threshold. Unfortunately, Gooch
does not suggest any guidelines to set the threshold.

I was exploring different rules to remove only obvious blunders (largest
elevation differences). A statistical filter is self-adaptive and responds
to a known mathematical behaviour. Your intuitive reply concerning the
random behaviour of the differences is a real concern that may compromise
the conclusion.
I am intending to interpolate the remaining reliable elevations with
s.surf.rst. With this method, there is even a possibility to calibrate the
smoothing attribute according to observed elevation differences (I have not
tried this yet, sounds time consuming). Here we are talking of about 2 m of
Z difference which is in a way a measure of the "noise" of the
photogrammetric process. The number of compared pixels is of the order of 4
millions.

Do you reckon I am totally wasting my time with this issue? Is there a
clever obvious solution that would do the trick better?

Again, thanks for discussing this question

Thomas