[GRASSLIST:4103] Re: r.in.gdal question

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jul 18 16:39:46 EDT 2002

Kevin Slover wrote:

> Alrighty, got it working, somewhat.  Realized why gdal wasn't installed,
> and simply recompiled with the --with/--without flags as needed.  And of
> course, after all that, the format that I need to use (.kap) is not
> supported, or at least the version that I have..interesting...anyhow,
> thanks for all the help out there...

Note that the treatment of the --with-gdal flag is different to most
of the other --with-* flags.

If you specify --with-gdal, r.in.gdal includes gdal.h, and links
directly against libgdal, as is the case for other libraries.

Without the --with-gdal switch, r.in.gdal includes gdalbridge.h (which
is part of the r.in.gdal source code), and doesn't link against
libgdal; instead, it loads libgdal at run-time using dlopen().